How did I fix Windows 10 issues

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I've been getting many unwanted, weird and unknown issues on my laptop. Some of these are listed below:

1) Volume suddenly going off and no matter what I do to the sound configuration, it stays off for as long as the laptop is on.

2) Start menu not working

3) Microsoft Edge (The "new" internet explorer) not opening

4) Cut/Copy paste not working. And by that I mean no Control + C and Control + V, No right click
"Copy" "Paste" thing happening at all.



Windows 10 issues and fix

Needless to say, I panicked the first time I encountered any of these issues. I browsed a lot through all the technology forums and could read various solutions from different users - like restarting in safe mode, uninstalling some applications like avast, doing some registry changes in msconfig etc.


Anyways, I didn't want to try any of these options because didn't want to unknowingly damage any of the configurations. However, the only normal solution I went back to was to restart my laptop. The problem is after encountering any of the above mentioned 4 issues, my laptop just wouldn't start normally. Every time I'd login, I'd get the

"Critical Error - Start menu and Cortana not working. We will try to fix it while you sign in next", 

and the only option I'd get is to "Sign out".

No matter how many times I'd do that, it would give me same error. It was beyond frustrating. Anyhoo, I've found one simple solution to this problem, which doesn't require changing any registry or uninstalling anything.

Here it goes:

1) If you ever encounter any of the above issues  (or more) from Windows 10 upgrade, DON'T just restart it. Save your work and "Shut down".

2) Once your laptop is all shut (all lights off!), start it again. Sign in and you might see a Welcome message on your desktop :
"Critical Error - Start menu and Cortana not working. We will try to fix it while you sign in next",  , with an option to sign out. Do that (coz you can't do anything else!)

3) After signing out, restart your laptop.

4) Sign in again

5) No error, everything would work fine (till sometime I suppose!)

Somehow, this fix has worked ok for me till now. I hope this works for you as well.
Hopefully, Microsoft team gets all these issues fixed soon.



Comments

Popular Posts