Can I?..... I can!

What can a person do after going through a regular monotony of things he never thought he would do, but somehow because of some unknown reasons – had been doing them since so long, that they have actually become his life?


What would happen if he just snaps off from those things, without knowing what would be the outcome? Where would he go? Would he be able to do anything else that would give him pleasure and prosperity? What if in the due course of time he had actually forgotten what he really wanted to have and now even if he wants to do that – the time can’t be reversed?


These thoughts had been going into my mind since God-knows-when, but yes somehow unconsciously they were there, roaming around, browsing through my brain, wandering like an unwanted beetle, alone, different, somehow nasty from the rest of the crowd of thoughts.


Yesterday, before going to sleep, I closed my eyes, asked the divine (God, subconscious, higher self or any other nomenclature you want to give? – Please feel free!! :-)) what if I resign from my current job tomorrow? I had just two options in front of me:


1) What would I do if I resign from my current job?
2) What would I do if I don’t resign from my current job?


The answer to the second question was much easier and - painful. If there is some sort of name that can be given to the ailment – “Irritation-beyond-tolerance-because-of-the-software-jargons-and-coding-scenes”, then I might be having that to an extreme level, which can reach and pass the need of appropriate medication and surgery if there is any.


And the irony is that I am a software engineer since past more than five years , now gone to a higher version so that I can be called a “Module Leader” having a “Red Tag”(a mark of five years seniority) in my company which is even funnier since right now there is no module for me to lead.


And after around 2 years of leaving the rigorous coding areas, I am forced to do that now, which is similar to hurting me with 1000 nails piercing again and again, daily.


The only subconscious and outward reasoning for this torture -


i) What comes from my bosses and dad:


– “Recession time - If you quit, you’d not get any job”.
– “Don’t demand so much about your roles and work, we are lucky enough to get work for our people, so better do what is given to you.”
– “Be happy that at least you are getting full salary in these crunch times.”


ii) What comes from my mom is:
- “We won’t get a decent groom for you if you quit now.”


iii) What comes from me is:
- “Do I have a life of my own? “


Now coming to the first question – “What would I do if I resign today?”


The first reaction that came – “Blank”.


I had no idea what to do leaving aside softwares and coding, having being groomed to this very field since so long now.


After two minutes, images could come out of the clouds. I could see myself working here for another 2 months, during which I’d plan to change the course of my job, to teaching or may be quality assurance.
Worst scenario I’ll go home, take a break for sometime, stay at home, relax, play music on my favorite piano, join VLCC and lose some weight!! ;), give tuitions to kids etc etc.


And my mind went calm. I have the degree, I have the experience, I have the brains, I have some savings and I have H1 Visa too lol !! ;). It wouldn’t be too bad than what is it now!


And I can trust!! :). So here I leave!

Comments

  1. Reminds me of the latest UltraTech cement advertisement...

    Maine aaj kal ko dekha hai...

    Gaun ko shehar mein badalte dekha hai...
    Neev ko imarat mein badalte dekha hai...
    Asmaan ko maine khidki mein badalte dekha hai...

    Maine aaj kal ko dekha hai...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is amazing lady! cheers for your guts and will to follow your own path!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atticus Finch: atticusfinchhere@gmail.comMarch 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM

    Hi 'S/W Engg Ver 3.2 aka Module Leader with an upgrade "Red Tag" ...
    chanced upon ur blog...Calicoaster(frm Calicoan Island?)...u a filipino ;) talk of ppl disguising themselves in Indian names n surnames :P ...n btw don't they say "When we wake up in the morning,we have two simple choices.Go back to sleep and dream,or wake up and chase those dreams.The choice is yours..." its really great and inspiring to see ppl following their dreams/paying heed to their 'antaraatma-ki-aawaaz' ...it seems u r not just Another Brick in the Wall...cheers!! :)
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Hey btw just coz' ur ideas ve weight doesn't mean u need to join VLCC :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atticus Finch: atticusfinchhere@gmail.comMarch 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

    u not a filipino...but me a DUMBO ;) ...googled my way to find that Calico Aster is a wild flower....n its nuthin to do with the Calicoan Islands :( (gawd hw i wish i cud ve been right...nevamind)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...nice!! .. thanks Atticus Finch!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. "What would I do if I resign from my current job?"
    How about going back to doing your PhD in Physics...
    Yeah, I've been reading your blog :-)

    We tend to magnify the consequences of an unconventional decision, particularly if it can go wrong. You did it for five years... Can you do it for another 3 or 5 or 10?
    If you take a sabbatical, then you would probably find something better to do... or get back to the software industry, recharged. I'm sure ur red tag will help you out then...
    And did you say you have a Piano at home???

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Saket
    Thanks!! :)
    Not the real grand piano..The Yamaha PSR E413. And I play mostly the grand piano instrument on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does this make you ready for a Trip to Eurpoe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Few Tree's shed leaves, Some Animals hibernate, Sun and Stars take turn, even the Tide ebb's. Every phenomenon guided by rules of nature has its way of doing/living/being/experiancing diverse stats sometimes opposite to its natural one.

    You have made a descision, and if i am correct you dont need to justify anyone. cuz in heart of hearts you know what you have done is for good. And it is that belief, itself that would take you to the live worth living. And one day , when you would look back....

    you would say. ' Been there...DONE than. n DONE THAT BLOODY WELL'!!!

    Enjoy you new state of transition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like u just outsmarted my high-end encryption system to conceal my id :-P
    was it that obvious??

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous

    That "No" was for your first comment!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. for some reason i thought u might like this:
    http://bethalf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is life all about, girl! Now is the time to leave the past behind and live the present. Aim at things that would make you truly happy...and Yes, if u think u can.......u really Can!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey this was a nice blog...so did u really quit ur job ? if yes what ru doing now ? i must say it needs guts to do wat u did...well i have done the same...left my job recently but did tat as was getting married n now at home all the time...btw ur company with whom u were working wud hav sponsored ur h1 isnt it ? so do u still have it....anyways all the best!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts