Why do people assume things?

Before a man speaks it is always safe to assume that he is a fool. After he speaks, it is seldom necessary to assume it.
H. L. Mencken

I sometimes wonder why people assume things, without considering receiving anything from their senses. They can see things clearly, they can read well, they even have brains to comprehend and understand. Still, I wonder why is that they just neglect everything, which is staring on their faces and just go ahead with what they or their minds want to understand or receive? At office, my clients always assume something or other regarding the work they'd be getting from me. When I don't know something, they accuse me of setting assumptions in my mindset. I say some words of wisdom to my friends, and they interpret something else. I sometimes feel, if there is some evil soul conspiring against me or what? How can anything I said or wrote so clearly, could be understood in a completely different or opposite way? 

I remember, I had a very cool teacher in my school days and she taught me, never to assume anything, because to "assume" is to make an "a$$" of "u" and "me". I interpreted it even better as I feel it now; never to be judgmental about anything. And, then I pushed it even further and made it a motive to never expect anything from anyone.

But, being a human, I failed in my understanding again. I don't expect things, and I don't expect the "unexpected" too, and then I react, which has to be controlled. I guess I assumed again, and have to learn more.

Comments

  1. When I was in 7th std we had a substitute geography teacher. He also told the same meaning to "assume"

    :D

    When person 1 is communicating with person 2 to delegate some task they often have to make an assumption on the level of understanding of the listener for the sake of efficiency. If first assumption is wrong person 1 will apply some corrections and make a better assumption next time. Assumptions are inevitable unless you have time to look at all possible alternatives.

    besides no matter how long these self correcting iterations on assumptions go person 1 will never be able to understand true nature of person 2 because only person who has potential and need to understand true nature of person 2 is person 2 himself.

    phew.


    also do not stress yourself with duality of assuming that u do not assume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :| I guess you are Nishu...

    BTW my hubpages crossed 1000 pageviews milestone.. :D...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! We want more?

    Btw... are we Up for a Party?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Office work"- may be this can be handled, supposedly if they r germans

    i ll just try to summarize some points through my experience while dealing with them

    some of the tips(in case German)
    1. they will try to state any requirement in a very short line or para(most of the time wont b sufficient).
    2. U need to take assumptions(necessary)
    3. Take time in analyzing all the possible solution and broader the scope.
    4. Clarify those assumptions at the earliest
    5. While clarifying its better to ask them such questions which ll only result in yes or no(Binary).
    6. Ask them before starting is this all needed or is thr something else that need to b added(better line " is this all or m i forgetting/missing anything", gives them a superior feeling which they crave for).
    7. Have frequent mail conversations


    hoping it ll b helpful for you too.

    i may b giving unasked suggestions ...but kindly just treat it as a harmless gesture of an unknown well wisher

    ReplyDelete
  5. @DD

    Party...hmmm..yeah I will be writing posts daily now!! :D

    @Majnu

    Thanks for the tips. I'll try to implement some, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are!
    Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr (Mohammed Ali)

    It’s one of my favorites and is just the opposite of what H. L. Mencken said I believe! ;)

    It is said that two people can look at the same thing and see something totally different. That’s what distinguishes people!!! The so called “unique” nature of humans originates from here I guess. The way you see things constitutes your individuality and that’s what makes you Miss. Calicoaster! (Calicoaster as in Calico Aster; the plant???) So if I also start seeing things the way you do; I should be called Mr. Calicoaster!!! :)

    As far as expectations are concerned; everyone expects. That is something you cannot control. Be it a dead thing or a living thing…you expect something out of it. I buy a watch and I expect it to work! I make a friend and I expect him/her to be with me through thick and thin. What good does it do if you make a friend and expect nothing at all? I don’t expect anything from CEO of Microsoft either because I don’t know him. So at the end of the day; my friend and Bill Gates are on the same lines. So why call him a friend? Or I should call Bill Gates also my friend!!! :D

    Oh yeah, I have also been in a service industry and it works totally different. Have you ever beaten back a teacher at school? Well, I have! Lol! The same is the case with clients. He/she might be a dumbo but you will still have to suffer because it’s all business; profitability blah blah blah! I remember during my interview; I was given a scenario “how would you prove to your supervisor that you are innocent for something which he had accused you and that he strongly believes that you are guilty”? I just laughed at it and said I don’t prefer fighting with pigs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh Arun!! You are the Mangal Pandey - Reincarnated..lol!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts