When the world asks you to play safe and smart

It has been a while, since I had any controversies attached to my rather peaceful life since past one year. Recently, there has been a big one. And, it is so insulting on the part of my employer, that I feel disgusted to even mention it here. So, I have simply stopped thinking about it anymore. But, this circumstance has given dimensions to some new thought process of mine. I have got many lectures from my parents and friends, about “playing it safe”. 


“What if they are unfair to you, you are not the only one suffering from their injustice.” 


“You should ignore such things, keep a safe path, don’t raise your voice against the ‘autocrates’. I understand they are wrong, but we are still doing ‘naukri’ and are their ‘naukars’. We should play safe, instead of raising voice against things; we don’t know what that would result into. Just be quiet and do what others are doing. Suffer!!”


Well, I guess, now I know why I don’t gel well with people around me. Most of the people I know, want to play it safe. They want safe jobs, come home to their safe relationships, drive safe cars, make safe investments, have safe thoughts and they attribute all this to have a safe and secured life all through the way.

My all time favorite quote has been the Darwin’s theory of “Survival of the Fittest.” These people are finest example of this theory. They love it, dictate it all to the core and then breed further to make the most of the population to be their kinds. They are actually playing very safe and smart.



Nevertheless, there are other kinds of people too. And I am talking about the group that lives its life in thrill and adventure. The kind of people, who just don’t think out of the box, but literally live outside the box. These people thrive on adventure and thrill. They want change, newness and bring revolution to the life, at any given stage. They adore innovation and creativity. They love to explore unknown and unseen horizons of life. They push their limits to maximum capabilities in order to achieve something they think of, which no one had ever dared to think, let alone achieve it. These people develop into visionaries, who have a habit to understand and perceive something beyond where we stand today.

Yesterday, I was watching the movie “What the bleep do we know, Down the Rabbit hole?”. There was a scene when Dr. Quantum (cartoon) traveled to a two dimensional world. This was a place where everything was in two dimensions, the houses, the offices, even the people. They had no understanding about cubes, spheres, or anything that has to do with a third dimension. There was only forward, backward, left and right. No above and below. The people never knew about a third dimension. And when they saw Dr. Quantum made up in a 3D, they got scared, ran away, screamed and thought him to be a ghost. Just one amongst them, stepped forward to talk to him. She asked him queries about her doubts, about what Dr. Quantum was, and how was he so different, etc. She stepped forward to grasp the concept of 3 Dimensions. She went forward to allow Dr. Quantum to make her see her world from ‘above’. And, when she saw it, she was baffled, by exploring the beauty of what was unknown and ‘unsafe’ for her.

I am not asking you to become a dare devil and do things stupidly. Please, don't take me wrong here. But, what I am trying to say is, it may happen that you firmly believe something, right from the core of your heart. You know that by every means you are right. What I have learned about human mind, is that whenever a person is doing something which is not right from his senses or something which may harm him by some other means, there always comes a warning to him, from some unknown mysterious inner voice. But, it will come, which he may chose to ignore or accept. And, when he ponders upon his thoughts, in peace, he always gets to know the answer, whether it is right or wrong.

The people who live outside the box have some enhanced capability of this. But, since they are in minority, they are often not understood or supported by the mainstream population. Obviously, they are not rebels, but are accused of being rebellious, just because they can not embrace the common understanding of rules, regulations and policies. I have been termed as one, so I can say that affirmatively.

Such people are not anti to the policies. Also, they do not require any group support to prove their points. I have seen many youngsters, who feel that by getting a weird hair cut, tattoo or weirdest dress, or by misbehaving with others, they can prove to be brave and different from others. Yes, they are different, but not in a positive sense. What are they contributing to anyone by doing this? Neither to themselves, nor to anyone else. Such behavior is just an expression of their own anger and resentment turned inside out.
They don’t change the world. Instead, they dangerously tend to follow the path, which may be derogatory and harmful to themselves and the world around them. I certainly don’t intend to talk about such people here.

If you want some flattering examples to make my point clear here, then I am talking about people like Albert Einstein, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa and some others, which you may not be knowing, but can find at wikipedia. I am certainly not comparing myself to them. But, they are a kind of design model, everyone can relate to, so I preferred to use their names here. I could have chosen to write instances of people I feel as my role model, like for me it is my mom's younger brother (my uncle). Anyways, my point about such people are that, they never tried to be different or go against anyone. They simply “WERE” different, they thought in a different way. Their actions were not dependent on any particular individual’s behavior. They had their own mindsets, which they followed with compassion and devotion.

The only thing that separated them from others was, their will power to stand tall against the anger, repression and negativity surrounding them. They believed something, and they followed their belief with complete commitment.

I have seen people who are rehearsed of playing safe and smart and become frightened of such innovative thinkers. And, in their fear of getting overpowered, they try to suppress those who are staying out of the box. But, when the time has passed, the future turns back to look and salute at those who stayed out of the box, and marked a new beginning for others playing safe inside the box. When our future can admire them, why can’t the present do the same? When future generation can see that those people fought for higher ideals because in their heart of hearts they truly believed that things could be better, why can’t people see the same in present?

Today there are millions of people who would change the world with their beautiful open-minded hearts and their incredibly brilliant minds, especially the upcoming teenagers and young adults in their early twenties. They feel that there is no point in even trying because the current political and cultural environment is so against them. I would be lying if I claimed that what you see as extreme hostility towards change was not at a peak right now. You are right. They do not want to change again, but you are right, it is time for another change and you are the ones to help bring it. Do not be afraid of the backlash. If I start counting it for myself, I may have severe injuries all fresh and reopened again and again. People accuse me of being non-compromising and non-adjusting and of being 'hot-headed'. I listen, but I may be insane or something, because such taunts and torments don't seem to change me at all. And, then people call me 'adamant'!


I can only say what I do. Though, it has made my life much troublesome than peaceful. Still, I have my faith This may not be the right time for me to preach such things. But, no matter what stage I am in, I'd always suggest you to stand tall and do what you know in your heart is right and just for all, not just what benefits a chosen few. You know that ignorance can no longer rule the people. 


You know that blind obedience is no longer a viable option. I certainly don't follow or obey anything, which doesn't support my thoughts or satisfies my quest for acceptance.

People say that the signs are all here and Armageddon has begun. How selfish to assume that your God will come carry you off to heaven, therefore you do not have to care for the people and planet that are going to be left in the wake of your final choices. Who is to say that is not the ultimate test of who stays and who gets to ascend to a better place? If you had to choose who were truly worthy of burning in hell or going to heaven, would you pick those who were killing in the name of God or those who were crying out for love, equality, and to save the planet?

Comments

  1. Somehow I disagree to this! It’s not because I want to disagree but I must!

    There is a saying that heroes are the people who do what has to be done when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences. I feel miserable when I say that this is only a 'good-to-hear' quote! In real life when you are in a situation where you know that doing something that needs to be done affects people in your life whom you really care for, you would think at least twice. It happens with everyone because everyone's life is different and for them; it is the top most priority.

    Let’s say on your way home you witness an accident and a person is lying on the road covered in blood. No one is around to help him. Will you take the initiative in carrying that person to a hospital? If you mean and say so, my mouth is zipped and you probably can delete this comment because the rest might sound stupid to you! Also, I would want to meet you because I would see you as a great person I have ever met in my life and it would be a real honor!

    Normal people would never do that! They 'PLAY SAFE'! It’s not because they don't have human feelings and are cold blooded. It might be because they don't want to get into trouble. Trouble as in, you can never imagine how much trouble even simple things can put you into. I will narrate about the worst trouble I can think of at the moment...that person might have been murdered and you become a murder witness! You get to see the court for the next 10 years for just being a witness and when your family gets to know about this social service you have done, they would probably be cursing you for ruining your life. Who would approach with a marriage proposal for a guy or a girl who is a murder witness and is appearing for the court for years? Will he/she be able to leave the country having given a better job offer somewhere else? Being a human and having commitment towards your parents who have given birth to you and your own family, what choice will you make? See...you sacrifice a lot of things when you do the right thing that needs to be done at times and I’ve learned that this is the root cause why people play safe!

    There is this wanted criminal who was a good man 15 years back. He became a criminal by helping someone who got stabbed! When the police came, he saw this poor fellow standing with a knife removed from the other person’s body and proclaimed that this guy murdered the other guy! He was sent to jail and after his term of punishment, when he returned back home, neither his family nor the society saw him as a good man. He didn’t have a choice. Do you call this fate? Well, I don’t!

    You might probably be wondering thinking that the context in which you said playing safe and the one I just explained are totally different! But I can show you the link. If we both are working together and I tend to be more smart and capable than you...yeah if you want your name to appear in www.quotegarden.com or www.wisdomquotes.com, you would move out of my way! However when you know that you have to lead a life, you have a family to take care, you have liabilities and if they kick you out of the job for not working up to the expectations you will be screwed, will you play safe so that they don't kick you out? And me...I would have written similar blog post!!! :-)

    I have faced this several times. Its human tendency that as long as it is not concerning their life, people just wash off whatever it is to avoid any kind of troubles. You will never be able to help it. What they do, from a third person's view might look bad but when you are in such a situation, you would also do the same thing! There are numerous things in life which people classify as GOOD and BAD. When we experience such situations ourselves, the BAD becomes GOOD and GOOD becomes BAD! It’s just a way of life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Arun

    I feel you have understood the whole post of mine from a completely different direction. I certainly, won't contradict or try to prove any point here. Because, what you are writing here is something not what I intended to tell. I guess, now you can understand, why I press so much on clearing the "assumptions" people have in their minds. Here is the example, which you can see yourself. I don't prefer to make my point clear to anyone, who has complete different understanding of what am I telling, especially when what he thinks is right in another way. But, this was certainly not what I meant in the whole post. Anyways, thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably yes because it did occur to me several times before I clicked ‘Publish Comment’ button.

    I was somehow drifted away with ‘PLAYING SAFE’ terminology and my bad...when I got some thing on my head, I spoke non-stop. Sorry about that! Feel free to trash it.

    Assumptions...hmm...smart...were you waiting for me to be stupid by posting a comment like the one I posted so that you could show me how people assume things in the wrong way? ;-)

    Ahh...bad joke at the bad time. Well, as I said...I was drifted away and I didn’t assume anything. I was only concentrating on one statement in your post and that was ‘They want safe jobs, come home to their safe relationships.........all this to have a safe and secured life all through the way’! My comment is a possible reason (from what I think) as to why people want a safe and secured life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a tiring long night into the weekend. How often does one get to say that.! usual stuff apart, couldn't stop from reading through. Few quick points b4 I head off.

    First , is controversy the right word, or disagreement would have been better? I dunno, just asking.
    I got stuck for a while(not coz of u) starting with this one.In my opinion,its public figures are more prone to be part of controversy than individuals who tend to have differences,disagreements of sorts.OR maybe individuals involved in controversy become public figures.What say you?

    I like the background pictures you put in the blogs, how do you do that? Off late I also see pop-ups opening when I come to you page...is that you? I find them annoying.Do you get those pop-ups too? Too many question,I feel I am bombarding questions at you like a child does in a new world. I know its HTML but don't know how n where to start, n do stuff like u did with blog n all. ( couldn't this be another blog?)

    Your 1st para, u mentioned about staying awary from trouble for a year or so.How come you get involved in controversies? n what stopped it? What does one do to stop it. I have my own share of confusions, I am sure i can learn a few bits from you. ( Another hubpage material? Is this?)You have interesting topics on hubs, but strangely I find your blogs more interesting than hubs. Whatever...just keep writing.

    And hey how is your music side moving on? Haven't read about it in sometime. I hope that's nothing to do with any controversy.Piano n all, where are they?

    Whatever!!!
    Its good to read,know,listen to free n fair opinions without malice,driven by sincerity. Did I say I liked Rajiv Masand's.!!!I believe , some people have 'their' opinions and others carry, just borrow it from their neighbours. Did I use the term 'neighbours' again.Boy!!!

    I am sure I have more thoughts knocking on the floodgates, I would ask them to rest for someday when I get into a dream, where I am having a coffee with you? I guess it would have to be a Level 2- Dream, by Inception terminology.

    Off to have some coffee under a stary night. I wish i had a terrace....cosmopolitan urban life.Huh!!! Back at home, star gazing, cloud shaping were eternal joys...n now here I am 'surfing' with no fresh breeze blowing past n gaze of stars. I guess... its time to start my dream Or was it coffee? Up Up n Away.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello DD

    I guess, what I feel about the difference between a controversy and a disagreement is that, a controversy is a much higher form of a disagreement. Disagreement has less magnitude, and less people involved in it. Controversy is on a larger scale, with greater impact, higher magnitude and with involvement of larger number of people out of which some might be a lot influential w.r.t to the person in question. Well, that is my understanding. It might be different for others in actual.

    Thanks for liking the pictures. I actually love to enhance my writings with pictures. I prefer to add some graphics made by me. But since time doesn't permit me to do that, I prefer getting the theme from somewhere. I am sorry about the pop ups. I guess, it had something to do with the linkbucks link I placed in my blog, long time back. I could not see those pop ups coz my browser would block them, so I never knew about this problem. Thanks for letting me know this, and I have removed that link now.

    Thanks for liking my hubs and blogs. I don't mean to express my personal ramblings on hubs. That place is just for information sharing and some of my opinions about worldly affairs. What I write here, is completely senseless thought process of mine, which may or may not look that senseless to other people. My music has all gone dormant now. My piano is left at my home and I have no intentions to go there right now and get it back. I don't know where I'd be going next. Just keeping my fingers crossed for the best.
    And yeah, with your mention of coffee, I am reminded of getting my morning coffee - oops - I mean tea. :) So, chao!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts